Haier Portable Air Conditioner Reviews
- 1 Haier Portable Air Conditioner Reviews
- 1.1 About Haier Portable Air Conditioners
- 1.2 5 Best Haier Portable Air Conditioner
- 1.3 Recommended Haier Portable Air Conditioner Reviews
- 1.3.1 Haier HPN14XHM 14, 000-BTU
- 1.3.2 Haier HPN10XHM 10000 BTU/9000 BTU
- 1.3.3 Haier HPB08XCM 8000 BTU
- 1.3.4 Haier HPC12XCR 12,000 BTU Portable 4-in-1
- 1.3.5 Haier HPP08XCR 8000 BTU
- 1.4 Why You Should Buy a Portable Air Conditioner
- 1.5 Factors to Consider When Buying a Portable Air Conditioner
Not everyone can afford to have window air conditioners but that is no reason to have sweaty nights during summer. A portable air conditioner can provide sufficient cooling and give you the right climate in your home or office. Haier are the makers of reliable units and if you have been going through Haier portable air conditioner reviews but still have failed to make a choice, hopefully by the end of this one you will be able to zero down on just one that can suit your need.
This guide is the work of hours of research to present the most comprehensive review that will help you make a choice that you will not regret.
About Haier Portable Air Conditioners
Haier is a multinational company that has its headquarters in Qingdao China. It has been in operation since 1984 and is known for making a number of household electronic devices which include televisions, refrigerators, and air conditioners among others. Its range of portable air conditioners are made in China as well as America and other countries across the globe. It is one of the competitive brands of choice by millions of people around the world.
5 Best Haier Portable Air Conditioner
Haier HPN10XHM 10000 BTU/9000 BTU
Haier HPC12XCR Portable 4-in-1
Recommended Haier Portable Air Conditioner Reviews
This is a nice air conditioner and if you prefer dual hose, then this one may be what you will find satisfactory. It can be used all year round since it does not only cool but can also heat the room during winter. For a room of 500sqft, I think you should not have much problem getting it to the desired temperature and since it has auto evaporation, you do not have to pause to empty a bucket.
The filter can be removed and washed which means you save on maintenance costs. With the on-off timer, you can pre-cool the room before you get home and you can save power by having it turn off after some time when you have left the room.
- It has auto evaporation which allows you to keep it running without having to empty the bucket
- Since it can be used all year round, you do not have to buy a heater separately
- The blue LCD screen can be read from far so you can see the temperature without having to walk up close to the unit
- It has dual hose system which makes it more effective
- The temperature cannot be programmed
This air conditioner will not only work during the hot season but you can also use it to heat up the room during the winter. With its 10000 BTU, you can cool a room of not more than 500sqft and you can choose between 3 cooling speeds as well as fan speeds and 3 heating settings. I would use this anywhere in the home and since it has wheels, transporting it to the room you want to cool or heat is not a problem.
The aesthetic design of this air conditioner is appealing and it can add to the decor of your living room or office. Some people complain that it is a bit noisy, so I would recommend you do not run it on the top speed if you are using it in the bedroom or while having a board meeting.
My suggestion would be to pre-cool a room at top speed and then step down the speed when you are in there.
- It can cool as well as heat a room which makes it good for use all year round
- It looks good and complements the decor of a room
- The filter is easily accessible so removing it to clean is quick and easy
- It can dehumidify a room quickly
- The wheels can move in any direction
- You need to empty a bucket when humidity is high since it does not evaporate it automatically
If you are looking for something affordable and able to cool a small room that does not exceed 250sqft, then this is a unit you may want to consider. It has 3 cooling settings and 3 fan settings and it also dehumidifies the room so that there is no mold or mildew growing in your room. Installation is quick and easy although I found the instructions a bit shallow.
When it comes to noise, the unit is not too noisy, you can even sleep without difficulty although when you set it on the highest cooling setting, it may be hard to have a phone conversation especially if it is quite close to you.
Generally, for an 8000 BTU air conditioner, I would recommend this one to anybody.
- It has auto evaporation which saves you from having to collect water in a bucket and then empty it
- Installation is quick and easy and you do not have to do a lot of maintenance work
- It can be set to turn on or off at a particular time which saves power
- It has a dehumidifier that creates an unfavorable atmosphere for mold and mildew
- It is reasonably affordable
- It seems like the dehumidifier is not very effective when humidity is at high levels
For a slightly cheaper option that will still provide you with all year round functionality, the HPC12XCR 12,000BTU can give you just what you need. It can cool up to 450sqft which I think is a medium sized living room and most bedrooms are not wider than this.
You can cool a room or heat it depending on the season and it also has a dehumidifier and fans with 3-speed options.
With the full-function remote, you can control everything the unit does from the comfort of your bed or chair and there is a digital display screen that is easy to read.For an air conditioner under 300 dollars, this is a good deal and its performance is satisfactory according to a number of reviews.
- It is a 4 in one unit so you can cool a room or heat it as well as dehumidify it
- Its strong cooling system can cool a room within 30 minutes even during very hot weather
- The hose and window kit can work on both vertical and horizontal sliding windows
- The filter can be washed which reduces maintenance costs
- It has a thermostat so the unit can shut down when the desired temperature is achieved
- It is a bit heavy for a 12,000BTU air conditioner
If you are on a budget and need to cool a small room of about 200sqft, you can consider this one as your solution. It can cool as well as dehumidify and it has a fan that you can either set to high or low. I would say there are no bells and whistles for this air conditioner but if can certainly keep a favorable environment within a small room like an office or small guest room in the house.
It can be moved around easily since it has wheels and the cord is long enough to place it about 5 feet away from the socket without the need for an extension. The filter at the back slides off so that you can wash it.
It is important to follow the instructions for installing the window kit because many people have found it difficult to install when they do not follow the instructions.
- It is one of the cheapest portable air conditioners that do a good job
- It has auto evaporate which saves you from having to empty a bucket as it works
- It has a long enough cord so you can place it up to 5 ft away from the socket
- Removing and cleaning the filter is simple
- The hose tends to heat up as it works which adds to the heat in the room
This guide has included most of the features that people may consider important when making a decision. The 14,000BTU seems like the most feature rich Haier portable air conditioner and it has the strongest cooling ability of all the other ones on this list. You may need to pay more for it, but it should be worth the expenditure. If you would rather have a cheaper one and are looking to use it in a smaller room that does not exceed 250 square feet, then the HPB08XCM 8000 BTU may be the choice you would be satisfied with, it can be used all year round and is reliable in small spaces. The cheapest on this list, however, is the HPP08XCR but it is best for spaces not exceeding 200sqft. Another option that can be used for both cooling and heating is the HPN10XPM. Whatever you may choose, you should have a reliable air conditioner as long as it matches the size of the room.
Why You Should Buy a Portable Air Conditioner
If you are still undecided whether to choose a portable one or the big window unit, here are a few reasons to purchase one of these units on this list.
Simple Installation: Portable units are designed to be used in different places so the installation is quick and easy. You will not need to call a technician or to break part of the wall to install this. In about 5 minutes, you can have it ready to start working.
Cheaper cost: In comparison to the central air conditioning, portable units are cheaper which saves you the cost but allows you a comfortable environment during summer. There is even no installation cost involved since like I stated before, installation is simple and you can do it yourself.
Portability: There is no reason to cool a room that you are not using, which is what a central system would do but with this one, you can move it to the room you want to cool and if you have an RV, you can also carry it in there. It is quite convenient.
Energy efficiency: Portable air conditioners use a significantly lower amount of energy since they cool just one room at a time and they have features like the timer that can also save energy.
Factors to Consider When Buying a Portable Air Conditioner
The cost of the unit may be affected by a number of things. First of all most recognized brands known for making reliable air conditioners are going to be more costly. The strength and size of the air conditioner also is a major addition to the price, if it can cool a larger space, then it is going to be more expensive. The general price range for a domestic unit may range between 150 to 900 dollars on average while commercial ones may go way beyond that.
You need to consider what other features you may want your air conditioner to have. Some of the common features that you should look out for include: Humidifier, remote control, auto evaporation, heater and programmable timers. Naturally, the more features it has, you are likely to have to pay more.
BTU signifies the strength of the cooler just like a car may have horsepower. The higher the BTU, the stronger the air conditioner which would mean it can cool a larger area. In most cases, you should consider the size of the rooms you will be using the unit in and get the area in square feet. A simple guide to BTU in relation to room size would be: a BTU of 8,000, can cool as much as 200 sq feet while 10,000BTU will cool 300sq ft. 12,000BTU will cool 400sq ft and so on.
It is, however, important to understand that walls and doors can affect the effectiveness of the conditioner. Just because your entire house may be 400sqft, if there are walls in between the rooms, naturally the air conditioner of 12,000BTU will not be able to cool the entire house.
It is no guarantee that you will save power by using a portable unit, you need to consider how much power it consumes and then you also need to consider how much you will be using it. As you consider the features you would want, if you are trying to have a lower energy bill, it is advisable to get one that has a thermostat which will shut off when the temperature is at the desired level.
Since portable air conditioners let out hot air, you need to have an outlet for this. In most cases, they come with a window kit which means you need to plan to have it positioned near a window so that you can set up the ventilation system. Some people though choose to have a hole in the wall.
There are 2 types of hose system, there is the dual hose system which has one hose to take in air and another to let out the hot air. Then there is the single hose system which has a single hose to take out hot air. While they both may do the cooling, the dual hose system is more effective while a single one needs to work harder to achieve the cooling effect. Naturally, though you would have to be ready to pay more for a dual hose system.