Honeywell Portable Air Conditioner Reviews
- 1 Honeywell Portable Air Conditioner Reviews
- 1.1 About Honeywell
- 1.2 5 Best Honeywell Portable Air Conditioner
- 1.3 Recommended Honeywell Portable Air Conditioner Reviews
- 1.3.1 Honeywell MM14CCS 14,000 BTU
- 1.3.2 Honeywell HL14CESWK HL Series 14000 BTU
- 1.3.3 Honeywell MM14CHCS 14,000 BTU
- 1.3.4 Honeywell MN10CESWW 10,000 BTU
- 1.3.5 Honeywell MN12CES 12,000 BTU
- 1.4 How to Choose a Good Portable Air Conditioner
- 1.5 Installing a Portable Air Conditioner
Summer time can be a lot of fun as you are outdoors splashing in the water or seated under the shade in the park. But when you get home and the temperature is 90 degrees or more, you probably will want to do something to cool it down. Going through Honeywell portable air conditioner reviews may help you find the solution to your heat problem. They have been making reliable portable air conditioners for years and this guide has made it easier for you to make a choice from some of the most preferred units that the company has ever made.
Honeywell is an American company operating globally in different fields of technology including aerospace, home and building, performance materials and technologies and safety and productivity. The air conditioners fall under the home and building technology and they have made a name for themselves with the performance of their brands. Honeywell is actually listed as a Fortune 500 company.
5 Best Honeywell Portable Air Conditioner
Honeywell HL14CESWK HL Series
Recommended Honeywell Portable Air Conditioner Reviews
If you are looking for powerful cooling ability but with reasonable energy efficiency, this may be one that may give you just that. It scores an EER of 10.0 which I would say is good for a single hose unit. You can add to that, its ability to cool as much as 550 square feet with other factors remaining constant.
It can also dehumidify the room and evaporate the moisture so that there is no leaking or emptying a bucket from time to time as it operates.
If you would rather just have a fan, you can choose from 3-speed settings which also can keep you comfortable in the hot months and help to circulate the air. A number of customers seem to be satisfied with the performance of this MM14CCS
- It has good energy efficiency which comes in handy when you are trying to keep your energy bill low but your home cool
- It can run for hours without you having to empty a bucket since it evaporates moisture
- Under perfect conditions, it will cool a room of 550 square feet in a few hours
- It produces noise of 53 decibels which is tolerable
- Some users complain about its weight which they say makes it hard to move it to another location
This sleek looking air conditioner will add not just a cool atmosphere to the room, but also an aesthetically pleasing sight wherever you may put it. Its 14000 BTU should be able to cool 550 square feet in a few hours and you can choose between 3 different speeds. It also has a dehumidifier and fan which can also be set to different speeds. It has similar features as the MM14CCS but is slightly cheaper.
Within 24 hours, it has the ability to remove 111 pints of moisture and it will not collect in a bucket thanks to the auto evaporation feature.
It features a digital LCD screen with soft touch buttons or you can choose to use the remote and operate it from across the room. It can be hard making a choice between this one and the other 14000 BTU conditioner on this list.
- It has a modern sleek design which adds to the look of your home or office
- It has strong cooling power as well as dehumidifying ability
- The Buttons are soft touch which makes operation easier and faster
- It is cheaper than other 14000 BTU conditioners on this list
- It will automatically turn on after a power cut
- The air cannot be directed in different directions, it only flows up
If you do not mind paying over 500 dollars for a portable air conditioner, then you can have this one that will work all year round. It has 4 functions which include cooling and heating along with a fan and dehumidifier. While the cooling is 14,000 BTU, the heat pump is 12,000 BTU the cooling effect will not exceed an area of 550 square feet while the heater will not go farther than 400 square feet.
There is an easy display LCD screen with feather touch buttons and a remote if you do not want to move when adjusting the settings. Like most Honeywell units, it has auto evaporate and the window unit can be installed easily and when not in use you can remove it and close the window safely.
- It is a 4 in 1 unit with a heater so you can use it during the cold season as well as hot season
- It has a powerful airflow so that you can feel the cool air even if you are not near the unit
- The filter can come off and you can wash it
- It uses environmentally safe refrigerant
- It cannot restart after a power blackout.
If you have a landlord who will not let you have things dripping out of the building, then you may fancy this MN10CESWW. It will evaporate the moisture that it sucks out and you will not have to interfere with its operation to empty a bucket. With its 10,000 BTU, it is able to cool a 250 square feet area.
With this Honeywell, you get cooling function, fan, and dehumidifier and for your convenience is a full feature remote that will allow you to sit back and still be able to control the functions.
It comes with a window vent that you can remove easily from the window when the unit is not being used. The controls on the unit are worth mentioning as they are very responsive to the slightest touch so even if you have to walk up to the unit to program the timer, you at least will not have to fight with the buttons.
- It has feather touch buttons that make operating it fast and easy
- The window vent is easy to install and remove so when you are not using the unit, it can be removed
- It has 3 functions, cooling, dehumidifying and fan
- The conditioner is fairly quiet in comparison to many other portable air conditioners
- The window kit does not fit perfectly on some kind of windows and you need to make a few modifications to it.
If you are the kind who worries about the design of gadgets in your home as much as the performance, then you might like this one, I find it to be designed to look modern as a complimentary feature to its performance. With 12,000 BTU, you can expect it to cool and area of 450sq ft although certain factors like walls and ventilation may affect its maximum performance.
It has a digital LCD screen and a full function remote so that you can operate it with ease. You can also set the timer to turn on or off so that you can save energy as well as let it start cooling the room even before you get there. When measured, the noise level was at 53 decibels which I find to be okay even when I am sleeping.
- It has efficient cooling which can bring the temperature down by 10 degrees in 2 to 3 hours
- It uses environmentally safe refrigerant so the ozone is safe as you cool your room
- It has smart evaporation so you do not need to empty a bucket
- With 12,000BTU, it can cool a 450 square feet room
- Its performance can be affected by heat coming in from another room like the kitchen
It is a tight race between the MM14CCS and the HL14CESWK HL Series since they both have very similar features. It may come down to choosing the one that is cheaper or the one you find to be more aesthetically pleasing. If however, you would like to have a 4 in one portable air conditioner then the MM14CHCS is the option you may want to try. It also has 14,000 BTU and looks good in your home or office, however it is the most expensive of the 5. If you have a small room that you want to cool, then you can choose between the 12,000BTU and the 10,000 BTU. Any of these Honeywell portable air conditioners can work quite well.
How to Choose a Good Portable Air Conditioner
Check the BTU
The most important thing is that the air conditioner should be able to cool the room in which you intend to use it. The best way to ensure this is done is to consider its British Thermal Unit (BTU) and then compare it with the area of the room you will be using it in square feet. To determine the area of the room, take a measurement of the length in feet and then multiply it by its width also in feet. Now a BTU of 8,000, can cool as much as 200 sq feet while 10,000BTU will cool 300sq ft. 12,000BTU will cool 400sq ft and so on. You, however, should also bear in mind that the stronger the BTU, the bigger the unit and the heavier.
Consider added features
Some air conditioners are more versatile than others, if you are able to go for the more versatile ones that may cost more, go ahead. Apart from being able to cool the room, you may want to look out for some of these extra features.
Dehumidifier: this feature is used to remove moisture from the air within the room. This helps to keep the air fresh. This feature can also prevent mold from growing in your room.
Fan: You may want to just circulate the air in the room as opposed to cooling it. The fan option may save you a higher energy bill and sometimes it is enough just to have a fan blowing the air instead of running the conditioner.
Heater: It helps to have a heating system as well on your portable air conditioner so that even during the winter, the same unit will be able to keep the temperature comfortable. You actually save money as well since you do not have to buy or install a heater separately.
Evaporator: Some air conditioners have an evaporator which saves you the trouble of having to empty a bucket from time to time.
Programmable timer: A programmable timer allows you to set the time that the conditioner starts running and when it goes off, this means you can set it to turn on an hour before you get home so that you return to an already cooled house, this feature will also save energy.
Remote control: this is a feature of convenience, you may not want to get out of bed to turn on or off the unit so having a remote control makes it easier.
Lamp off: The lights on some units may be too bright in the night so if there is a lamp off feature, you can have the unit running but without all the indicator lights.
Installing a Portable Air Conditioner
The process of installing a portable air conditioner should be easy and should be done within a few minutes. Most of these units come with a window kit and that is the main part that needs to be installed.
Once you have taken out the unit from the box, you should be able to see the window kit which is composed of a hose, a window bracket, and a hose adapter.
Start by attaching the hose to the adapters according to the instructions from the manufacturer
Ensure that the unit is installed near the window, in most cases, the hose is between 4 and 5 feet long so ensure it can stretch from the unit to the window.
Attach the hose to the part on the air conditioner that the manual says it should be attached to.
Next place the window bracket along the length of the window or if your window slides vertically, then place it along the width.
Some window kits may need to be screwed on while most do not.
Finally, attach the other end of the hose to the bracket and then shut the window to meet the bracket.
Plug in the unit and it is ready to blow cool air.